What foods should be included in a lunchbox?
• Bread, rice, potatoes, pasta and other starchy foods – fill us up and give us energy
For example: 2 slices of bread, rolls, a bagel, tortilla, crackers, crispbreads, pitta, couscous, pasta, rice, slice of pizza.
• Fruit and veg – packed full of fibre, vitamins and minerals
For example: a medium sized piece of fruit, fruit pots, a slice of melon, 2 small fruits, a cup of grapes, cherries, fruit juice, a bowl of salad, vegetable soup.
• Meat, fish, eggs, beans and other non-dairy sources of protein – help us grow
For example: Half a tin of tuna, 2 slices of chicken, 1–2 boiled eggs, 2 tablespoons of hummus, egg tortilla.
• Milk and dairy foods – good for our bones
For example: Semi skimmed milk, a pot of yogurt, a matchbox sized piece of cheese, 2 triangles of spreadable cheese, a small tub of cream cheese (35g).
• Drinks – keep us hydrated
For example: water, semi skimmed milk, pure fruit juice or fruit smoothies.
• Treats – not too often!
For example: fruit loaf, a plain biscuit, a scone, sugar free jelly pots, pots of rice pudding or custard, breadsticks, crackers or crispbreads.