Snacks and drinks between meals
The best between-meal snacks and drinks are those that are sugar-free. Tooth-friendly drinks and snacks to offer between meals include:
- milk or water;
- chopped fruit and vegetables, eg peeled apple, pear, peach, banana, orange, carrot, peppers, cucumber;
- bread, toast, plain breadsticks, plain rice cakes;
- natural yogurt or plain fromage frais – add your own fresh, frozen or tinned fruit for extra flavour;
- unsweetened cereals, eg Shredded Wheat, Weetabix, Ready Brek, porridge (NB do not add sugar to cereal);
- sandwiches with sugar-free filling, eg tomato, banana, tuna, lean meat, egg.
Foods that contain quite a lot of sugar are best kept to meal times and should not be taken too frequently between meals. These include:
- flavoured yogurt, flavoured fromage frais;
- low sugar rusks;
- plain biscuits, eg Rich Tea, Marie, Digestive;
- pancakes, fruit scones.