Cheesy bean crunch
A children's favourite, protein packed and full of colour.
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 spring onions (scallions)
- 2 rashers back bacon
- 1 dessertspoon unsaturated oil, eg rapeseed, sunflower or corn oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed or 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 vegetable or chicken stock cube dissolved in 150ml (¼ pint) boiling water
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g cans of beans, eg 1 can red kidney beans and 1 can black-eyed beans
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- 3 slices wholemeal or white bread, crumbed
- 75g (3oz) mature cheddar cheese, grated
- Chop the bacon after removing the fat and rind.
- Gently heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, spring onions (scallions), bacon and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft (2–3 minutes).
- Add the stock and tomatoes.
- Drain and rinse the beans and add to the tomato mixture along with the chilli powder and pepper to season. Bring to the boil stirring all the time, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Transfer to an ovenproof dish.
- Preheat the grill to a moderate temperature.
- Mix the breadcrumbs and grated cheese and spoon over the bean mixture. Grill until the topping is golden brown.
Serve with jacket potatoes or wheaten bread and salad.