A tangy, light dessert, perfect for a special occasion.
- 75g (3oz) wheatmeal biscuits
- 45g (1½oz) margarine (high in mono/polyunsaturates)
- 350g (12oz) cottage cheese
- 150g low fat natural yogurt
- 50g (2oz) caster sugar
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind and juice
- 15g (½ oz) gelatine
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 egg whites
- fresh fruit to decorate, eg kiwi or orange
- Crush the biscuits into fine crumbs. Melt the margarine and add the crushed biscuits. Mix well, then spoon into an 18cm (7 inch) loose-bottomed cake tin or pie dish. Spread evenly and press down with the back of a spoon. Leave in the fridge to cool.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff and set aside.
- Push the cottage cheese through a sieve with the back of a spoon. Put the sieved cheese in a large bowl and add the yogurt, sugar, lemon rind and juice. Mix well.
- Put the water into a cup and sprinkle the gelatine over the water. Stand the cup in a pan of hot water and stir until the gelatine dissolves. Do not allow the water in the pan to boil. Gradually add the dissolved gelatine to the cheese mixture, stirring well.
- Gently fold in the whisked egg whites to the cheese mixture, pour this over the biscuit base and place in the fridge until set.
- To serve, remove from the tin or serve in the pie dish, decorated with slices of fresh fruit.
This recipe is not suitable for pregnant women because it includes uncooked egg white.
30–40 mins (plus 1 hour setting time)