This Italian dish is quick to make and tastes delicious.
- 500g (1lb) wholemeal spaghetti
- 300g (11oz) smoked bacon
- 2 x 400g cans of plum tomatoes
- 142g can tomato puree
- 1-3 cloves garlic (optional), peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, add the spaghetti and cook for 12 minutes.
- While spaghetti is cooking, cut the rind and fat off the bacon and cut the bacon into small pieces. Heat the olive oil in a wok or large frying pan, add the bacon and cook for 5 minutes.
- Drain the spaghetti in a colander and rinse with boiling water. Add to the bacon along with tomato puree, garlic, oregano and black pepper and continue to cook gently.
- Heat the plum tomatoes and their juice in a separate saucepan.
- Remove the spaghetti bacon mixture from the heat and divide it between four plates.
- In the centre of each plate of spaghetti, place 2–3 plum tomatoes and some juice. Sprinkle lightly with the Parmesan cheese.